Monday, March 23, 2009

Kendall Is Getting Baptized

So this morning the unexpected happened. As Kelly, Kendall and I were sitting at the table eating breakfast, Kelly mentioned that she and Kendall had a conversation about baptism the day before.

Apparently, Kendall told Kelly that she wanted to get baptized when she was 9 years old. Kelly of course dug deeper and explained that getting baptized is not about being a certain age. One of Kendall's friends is 9 years old and recently got baptized therefore Kendall thought that is when you are supposed to do it.

Kelly asked me to explain baptism more to Kendall this morning. Being the seminary graduate and pastor that I am, I went into a discourse about baptism and what it means. I explained that through baptism we make a public declaration that we are Christ followers. I also shared what all the different aspects of getting dunked in the water is about.

After I finished my explanation, Kendall asked, "Why can't I get baptized now?" Well, I was not expecting that question. I replied, "Nothing." Then I had this fear of whether or not she truly understood the gospel. So I asked some questions.

"Kendall, are you going to heaven when you die?" She replied, "Yes."

I said, "How do you know?"

"Because I believe in Jesus," she said with a smile on her face. Obviously I needed more, so I asked her, "What do you believe about Jesus?"

Quickly she proclaimed, "That He died on the cross." I probed deeper, "Why did He die on the cross?"

Kendall responded confidently, "For our sins." Now Kendall has been able to share parts of the gospel for a year or so now but not as clearly as that. I wasn't satisfied and asked her to explain it to me again. Without hesitation she presented the whole gospel to me again without my probing questions.

Feeling confident now that my daughter has a relationship with Jesus, I told her that she could get baptized. Before she could get baptized though I needed to know why she wanted to do it. The next words out of her mouth were absolutely some of the greatest words a dad could ever hear from his child - "I want to be a Christ follower." What a gift from God!

Call me a skeptic or just responsible, but I wanted to make sure my 5.5 year old didn't just want to be "cool" or go swimming in the cool portable hot tub. Tonight at dinner I asked her again, why she wanted to get baptized. No hesitation, "I want to follow Jesus."

All day long I have not been able to stop thinking about my daughter wanting to be baptized and proclaiming publicly that she wants to be a Christ follower. Several times I thought I was going to lose it like a little baby.

What an opportunity I will have this weekend to step into the baptistry with my daughter and hear her and be with her when she publicly proclaims her faith in Jesus. Are you kidding me?! This is the abundant life.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wonderful. Praise God. Don't you just love Him!

bdmabry said...

How Wonderful. Kendall hit it right on. What an exciting moment. Tell her that I am glad to be a Christ follower with her. :) love, Betsy

Anonymous said...

Wow....I truly have tears!! I hope to hear the same from my daughter, Cory!You are truly blessed! Trish